CATHOLIC CHAPEL OF SS ROBERT AND ALICE AND PRESBYTERY, DODDING GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1157927

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1989

Statutory Address: CATHOLIC CHAPEL OF SS ROBERT AND ALICE AND PRESBYTERY, DODDING GREEN, HELME LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHOLIC CHAPEL OF SS ROBERT AND ALICE AND PRESBYTERY, DODDING GREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157927 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:05:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CATHOLIC CHAPEL OF SS ROBERT AND ALICE AND PRESBYTERY, DODDING GREEN, HELME LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Skelsmergh

National Grid Reference: SD 53318 95363

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 59 NW SKELSMERGH HELME LANE (North side)

6/169 Catholic Chapel of SS Robert and Alice and Presbytery, Dodding Green

II

Catholic chapel and presbytery. Mid to late C17 with alterations and additions of early C18, c1840 and 1940. Rainwater head to north end: "RSA/1682" (Robert and Alice Stevenson). Roughcast stone with slate roof. East facade of 2 storeys and 3 bays, end bays project under gables. Wide eaves and verges. Windows are mostly sashed with glazing bars, but 1st and 3rd bays of ground floor have casements, and 3rd bay of 1st floor has 3-light straight-headed window with label mould, cusped lights and leaded glazing lighting chapel. South facade of 2 bays, the 1st bay gabled, with datestone reading: "CB/1840". Windows are cross-mullioned, with casements. Plaster plaque to 2nd bay reads: "HAEC DOMUS/RENOVATA/EST/A. S. MCMXL/RJGK". Gabled porch, has half-glazed doors. North elevation has small gabled porch with segmental-headed entrance to return. External stair to 1st floor lean-to porch. 2 1st floor windows of 2 lights as to east facade lighting chapel. West elevation has C18 gabled wing to 1st bay, with smaller gabled wing attached. 2nd bay has rounded stair projection with 1st floor 3-light window; to right, a ground floor casement window with above a projection in angle with later range, connected with priest hide. Later range is gabled to returns, of C18, with sashed windows with glazing bars, C19 extension to south. Interior: Chapel has C19 altar, reredos and wall paintings to east end; C18 altar rails have turned balusters. 6-fielded-panel door to house. Original stair is semi-circular. 2 separate flights round octagonal newels. Early C18 stair has square newels, turned balusters and moulded handrail and string. Cupboard to 1st floor is round-headed with fluted Corinthian pilasters, archivolt and cornice, fielded-panel doors. The house was left to the Catholic Church in 1723 by Robert Stevenson to serve as a chapel and presbytery, having already been in use for some years as a Mass centre. See R.C.H.M. Inventory: Westmorland.

Listing NGR: SD5331895363

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 75749

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936)

End of official listing