GATEWAY IN GARDEN TO WEST OF TREWARDALE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157931
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
GATEWAY IN GARDEN TO WEST OF TREWARDALE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEWAY IN GARDEN TO WEST OF TREWARDALE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2019 at 12:32:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEWAY IN GARDEN TO WEST OF TREWARDALE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Blisland
National Grid Reference:
SX1031271599

Details

BLISLAND SX 17 SW 9/106 Gateway in garden to west of Trewardale -

GV II

Arch. 1680 (datestone). For William and Honour Browne. Granite. Round-headed arch with hollow chamfer and ball and run-out stops; initials WB and HB (William and Honour Browne) in spandrels; placed over the arch a later urn. Flanked by 2 large piers of dressed granite surmounted by granite curved necks and ball finials. Datestone 1680 on piers. Curved stone rubble garden wall to right. The gateway is situated to the west of Trewardale (qv). The house was rebuilt by the Robyn family in the C17 and again by the Brownes who bought Trewardale in the late C17. Existing house 1763 and later. The gateway incorporates C17 material probably from the C17 build of the house. Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1875 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970.



Listing NGR: SX1031271599

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
67325
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].