TOPTHORNE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157961
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1962
Statutory Address:
TOPTHORNE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOPTHORNE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 16:16:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOPTHORNE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Whinfell
National Grid Reference:
SD5569998547

Details

SD 59 NE 7/173 12.2.62

WHINFELL

Topthorne Farmhouse

G.V. II

Farmhouse. Probably late C17 with early C18 addition and alterations. Roughcast stone with slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, 3rd bay probably later. Dripcourse over ground floor. Ground floor has windows to 2nd and 3rd bays have casements; windows to 1st floor are sashed with vertical glazing bars and horns. Gabled porch between 1st and 2nd bays has C20 outer door and wide-boarded inner door with strap hinges. Gable-end stacks and cross-axial stack. Left return has 3 dripcourses. Rear has gabled wing with corbelled gable-end stack; windows have dripstones; lean-to outshut to left return of wing. Interior has early C18 fielded-panel partition with dado rail and 6-panel door; some wide-boarded doors. Stair has square newels, turned balusters and moulded handrail. 2 cupboards with fielded-panel doors, one has round head and fluted pilasters; inscription: "HWI 1758". Plaster overmantel to room to extension reads: "HWM/1716" and has flanking stylized grapevines.

Listing NGR: SD5569998547

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75754
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13879/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].