FORMER BRITISH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1157969
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
FORMER BRITISH SCHOOL, 15, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER BRITISH SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157969 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 07:14:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER BRITISH SCHOOL, 15, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Appleby-in-Westmorland
National Grid Reference:
NY 68230 20475

Details

NY 6820 APPLEBY IN WESTMORLAND C.P. CHAPEL STREET

1/99 Former British School, No. 15

GV II

Mid C19. Roughcast over stone, with slate roof and stone quoins. No. 15 was probably the schoolhouse, two storeys, with gable end facing the road and two 16-paned sash windows on each floor; door on left hand return side. The former school was founded 1808 and has inscribed stone "British School 1849", single storey, now builders' merchants, with a round-arched doorway and a pair of Gothic style windows.



Listing NGR: NY6822720483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73673
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/03206/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Edward Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].