LANGFORD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1157974

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: LANGFORD HOUSE, LANGFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANGFORD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1157974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:53:23.

Location

Statutory Address: LANGFORD HOUSE, LANGFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Churchill

National Grid Reference: ST 45904 60743

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 SE CHURCHILL C.P. LANGFORD ROAD, Lower Langford (north side)

5/86 Langford House

II

Former Country House, now Bristol University Veterinary School. Circa 1860 central block with south-west 1913 addition and further north-east addition including belvedere tower. Colourwashed render with dressed stone openings, exposed dressed sandstone to tower and concealed slate roofs. Italianate style. 2 storeys. East entrance front of 3 bays with pedimented slightly advanced central section. Rusticated pilasters to ends and defining central bay. Tall window openings with shouldered and eared architraves and keystones; plate glass sashes. Central upper window in round-headed surround with female head keystone. Central projecting early C20 part-glazed porch. Moulded string courses, dentil eaves cornice and blind parapet with open balustraded sections. Sidney Hill's coat of arms in pediment, ornamental vases to parapet. Similar features to south-west wing but north-east wing has Jacobean style parapet and hipped roof with ironwork fret to ridge. 4 stage belvedere tower with Jacobean style round- arched viewing stage, bracketted eaves cornice and strapwork parapet. Cast iron staircase. Interior. Circa 1860 staircase with cast iron balusters and glazed circular lunette; remainder remodelled in 1913 at the expense of Sidney Hill. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4590460743

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33954

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing