This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GUNWEN METHODIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GUNWEN METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1158020

Location

GUNWEN METHODIST CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Luxulyan

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70897

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUXULYAN SX 06 SE 3/145 Gunwen Methodist Church - GV II

Methodist church. Dated 1869. Granite rubble with brick dressings, partly rendered, with slate roof with gable end to front and rear. Plan : the church is of 2 storeys, with a schoolroom at ground floor and auditorium at first floor. At the liturgical west end (front gable end) there is a doorway now leading to the schoolroom. This probably originally gave access to an internal porch with a stair or stairs to the auditorium. There is a later external-stair to the rear, leading directly to the first floor. 2 storeys, front gable end has central plain door with brick segmental head, 16-pane sash to right and left with brick surrounds and segmental heads. The first floor is slightly stepped back over a band course, and has 2 round-headed sashes in brick surrounds, of 16 panes with upper radial glazing bars. Recessed round-headed slate datestone above in brick surround with inscription in upper case-lettering: Wesleyan Chapel 1869. Bracketed eaves. Right side has two 16-pane sashes at ground floor, granite band course, upper storey rendered with 2 round-headed sashes as on front. Single storey porch with pitched roof to end right, with door to front and double doors to side; to the rear, this is extended over a straight stair to the upper level, with 16-pane sash at upper level lighting stair and gable at top of stair. The rear left of the auditorium has upper section of a round-headed sash, full round- headed sash to right. Single storey lean-to to right with slate roof. The left side has two 16-pane sashes at ground floor, upper level rendered with 2 round-headed sashes. Interior Not accessible at time of survey (June 1986).

Listing NGR: SX0526061229

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 05260 61229

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 09:01:47.

End of official listing