ST FRANCIS'S HOME

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158042

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1979

Statutory Address: ST FRANCIS'S HOME, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST FRANCIS'S HOME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 19:43:27.

Location

Statutory Address: ST FRANCIS'S HOME, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shefford

National Grid Reference: TL 14269 39019

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1439 SHEFFORD HIGH STREET 8/110 (south side)

6.8.79 St Francis's Home

GV II

Former orphanage and seminary attached to the Roman Catholic Church of St Francis of Assisi. Established by the Rev. Canon Collis in 1869, the buildings were designed by S J Nicholl, and probably paid for by Mrs Lyne- Stephens of Lynsford Hall, Thetford, Norfolk. They bear the dates 1879 and 1884. Red brick. Clay tile roofs with decorative ridge cresting. 2 storeyed range to E, 3 storeyed block to W adjoining church. E block: balanced asymmetry of design. Gabled outer bays. LH one has ground floor sash surmounted by canted oriel, above which the gable is jettied. RH one has Tudor arched carriageway surmounted by 2 first floor single-light casements which flank a small niche (possibly intended for statue of St Francis) with letters S F below. To central bay are 3 unevenly spaced gablets. LH one is above canted oriel and Tudor arched carriageway. 2 RH ones are above 2 storey canted bays. Outer gables have heavy ogee-shaped bargeboards, and mock timber framing with rose decoration. W block: 2 bays, with 2 storey canted bay windows. 2nd floor is hung with fishscale tiles, and has 2 tall French windows opening onto balcony with plain wood balustrade. The gable apices are jettied out to line with balcony, and have mock timber framing and simply moulded bargeboards. Windows in both parts have glazing bars, and are mostly sashes. (Kelly(s Directory of Beds, Hunts and Northants, 1885, p.107).

Listing NGR: TL1426939019

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37664

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Bedfordshire Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, (1885), 107

End of official listing