TOWN VIEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1158075
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1951
Statutory Address:
1-4 TOWN VIEW, WINDERMERE ROAD, LA9 4QL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN VIEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158075.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:18:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-4 TOWN VIEW, WINDERMERE ROAD, LA9 4QL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Kendal
National Grid Reference:
SD5123693216

Details

SD 5193 SW, 4/177

KENDAL, WINDERMERE ROAD (South Side), Nos 1-4 (consec), Town View

24.04.51

II

House, now subdivided. 1831 by John Richardson for William Wilson; damaged by fire in 1847. Later additions and alterations. Limestone blocks; quoins and 1st-floor sill band to nos. 1 and 3; plinth, corner pilasters, and eaves band to no 2. Moulded cast-iron gutter on dentils to nos. 2 and 3. Graduated slate roofs (hipped to nos. 1 and 3); stone end chimneys. Two storeys with cellars, originally nine bays (3:3:3), now divided up but presenting three separate symmetrical front elevations: No 1 has French window to either side of window (originally door) in semicircular-headed stone surround; no. 2 has sash in recessed, segment-headed, surround to either side of panelled door with decorative fanlight; no 3 has sash to either side of panelled door and semicircular fanlight in stone surround. Sashes to upper floors. Entrance to no 4 on South return: Panelled door in semicircular-headed stone surround with small casement above.

Listing NGR: SD5123693216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75522
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/05911/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pamela Weston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].