CHURCH OF ST HILDA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158087

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HILDA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HILDA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158087 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 10:52:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HILDA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Westward

National Grid Reference: NY 27319 44891

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 24 SE WESTWARD Westward

7/216 Church of St Hilda

II

Parish Church. 1785-6 on a C16 site. Coursed hammer-dressed red sandstone with flush quoins on projecting plinth, probably that of the original church. Graduated greenslate roof. 3-bay preaching box with west porch under square bellcote/tower with pyramidal spire. C19 tracery-panelled double door in recessed pointed arch, continuing up to form bellcote with louvred vents. 3-light windows with level pointed heads throughout. Interior has late C19 furnishings and fittings, including a panelled ceiling and a screen to provide a western vestibule, both enriched with bubble-leaf ornament. Stained glass in east and south window, 1890. West wall has brass plaque to Richard Barwis of Islekirk Hall, 1648. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxxxiii, ppl5l-6.

Listing NGR: NY2731944891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72520

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 33, (), 151-156

End of official listing