BARCLAYS BANK KINGSWOOD CHEMISTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158117

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: BARCLAYS BANK, 6, NORTHBRIDGE STREET

Statutory Address: KINGSWOOD CHEMISTS, 8, NORTHBRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARCLAYS BANK
KINGSWOOD CHEMISTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:24:53.

Location

Statutory Address: BARCLAYS BANK, 6, NORTHBRIDGE STREET

Statutory Address: KINGSWOOD CHEMISTS, 8, NORTHBRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shefford

National Grid Reference: TL 14378 39169

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1439 SHEFFORD NORTHBRIDGE STREET 8/121 (east side)

16.1.52 No. 6 (Barclays Bank) 31.10.66. and No. 8 (Kingswood Chemists)

GV II

House, now divided into 2 properties and converted to commercial use. C16, reworked early C19 and C20. Closely studded timber framed building with red brick infill, some pebbledash render and some red brick refacing. No. 8 is rebuilt in early C19 red brick, with flared headers to some parts. Clay tile roofs. H-plan. 2 storeys, LH cross-wing 2 storeys and attics. No. 6: main block has carriage entrance to LH with flat timber head, carved spandrels and plank gates, the area above this hung with fishscale tiles. To R of this ground floor has C20 shop front in early C19 style, and first floor has gabled oriel window on cut brackets, with mullions and leaded lights, and fishscale tiles to gable. Cross-wing with timbering exposed, has leaded mullion and transom windows, one of 5-lights to ground floor, one of 4-lights to first floor. When the building was reworked in 1919 (plaque) the ground floor studwork was removed from the cross-wing and new studwork installed in line with the central block of the house, thereby producing a pedestrian passageway across the ground floor of the crosswing. Cross-wing has rebuilt red brick multiple chimney stack with moulded linked octagonal stacks. Main block has red brick double ridge stack. No. 8: C20 shop front takes up whole of ground floor. First floor and attic have C20 windows with rebuilt flat heads. Gambrel roof has brick eaves mouldings to gable, and brick dentil eaves cornice to side elevations. Variety of chimney stacks.

Listing NGR: TL1437839169

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37675

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing