Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158147.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 12:13:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 67891 19198


This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/07/2017

SW 61 NE, 5/78

MULLION, CHURCHTOWN, Church of St Mellanus

(Formerly listed as: Church of St Melaine's)




Parish Church, C15 nave, north and south aisles, porch and chancel. Tower circa 1512, erected by Robert Luddra. Portion of south wall of south aisle rebuilt in 1691 (date stone). Vestry possibly mid C19. Church restored in 1840 and in 1870 by F C Eden Rubble stone including granite and serpentine with granite ashlar blocks used in tower. Dry slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one with continuous roof and 7 bay north and south aisles not quite full length of nave. Narrow 3-light east window with late reticulated tracery, possibly C19. North aisle: stepped buttress to east of early wooden studded oak door. Five 4-centred, arched 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows with central cusped head raised. West window of north aisle similar. South aisle: very low priests door to chancel on south east with segmental arched opening. Wall between door and porch rebuilt in 1691. Three 4- centred arched 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows with central cusped head raised above flanking cusped head. To west of porch, 4-centred arched 3-light Perpendicular traceried window restored in C19. Porch: parapeted gable roof with C19 cross at apex. Unplastered original waggon roof with square bosses. Holy water stoup. Small opening at base of south door known as dog door. Unbuttressed west tower in two stages with slightly corbelled battlemented parapet and crocketed finials. 2-light belfry opening with pierced tracery heads, hood moulds and slate louvres on each side. Arch to west door earlier than main part of tower with drip mould and eroded heads in label stops. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Above this, immediately under the string course is a carved panel representing the crucifixion. Circa mid C19 vestry with fivelight mullioned C19 west window and 3- light mullioned C19 north window.

INTERIOR: arcade to north and south aisles, seven bays with A-type (Pevsner) granite piers continuing from west to east wall. Original waggon roof over north and south aisles and over nave and chancel. Carved figures with shields at base of ribs to waggon roof in chancel with gilded central boss.

Furnishings: Complete oak benches of about 1530 with moulded top rails and very fine carved bench ends with both Gothic and Renaissance elements. The order of these benches has possibly been altered. The chancel furnishings are C19 and C20. The pulpit incorporates two earlier carved panels and was dedicated in 1966. Oak rood screen dividing the east end, continues across the nave and aisles and incorporates a fragment of the C15 sole plate. The new screen was started in 1924 and completed in 1961 by Herbert Read of Exeter. Font, possibly C15 (Pevsner suggests C13). Hexagonal bowl with octagonal stepped shaft and circular base. Painted coat of arms over north door granted to Parish of Mullion by Charles II. Hatchment of Erisey family over south door. Wall paintings on south wall of south aisle by Samuel Triggs, Churchwarden, 1729. Two classical architectural frames with inscriptions within. One has been partly blocked by the rood screen. Glass: East window filled with C16 glass found under the floor of the chancel in 1840 by Revd. F Gregory.

Listing NGR: SW6789219199


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Beacham, P, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (2014)
Harvey, E G, Mullyon, (1875)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04426/30
Rights: © Mr Norman Froggatt. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].