STANTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1158182
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1967
Statutory Address:
STANTON HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:23:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
STANTON HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 24094 64164

Details

SK 26 SW PARISH OF STANTON IN THE PEAK MAIN STREET 4/58 (South Side) 12.7.67 Stanton Hall GV II*

Minor country house. Early C18, possibly with C17 core, with large addition of 1799- 1800 by Lindley of Doncaster, minor alterations in C19 and C20, further addition to east in c1920. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar gritstone with gritstone dressings, and quoins to C18 house. Graduated green slate roof with lead flashings and stone ridge, side wall and gable end stacks. Plinth, moulded stringcourse between first and attic floor and plain parapet to early C18 house and plinth, plain bands between storeys, moulded eaves cornice and plain parapets with balustraded panels to 1800 house. Two and a half storey early C18 house, the rest 2 storeys or single storey. Irregular plan comprising 7 bay, early C18 house, extended to north by single bay in similar style, with large five by five bay 1800 house attached to south and gabled single bay section, externally mid C19, attached to north beyond single bay addition, plus single storey library addition of c1920 to east. West front has 1800 ashlar house to south with three plain sashes and two glazing bar sashes all under flat arches and full height, with five plain sashes above also under flat arches. Recessed to north the early C18 house of coursed squared gritstone, which has an early C20 porch addition to south with moulded doorcase and balustraded parapets. To north two pairs of adjoining glazing bar sashes in raised surrounds, probably early C19, with C18 rusticated doorcase beyond under new stone lintel. Beyond again another C19 glazing bar sash in raised surround. Above seven tall, early C18, glazing bar sashes, most of which have original thick glazing bars and glass, in flush surrounds with raised fillet to edge. Above in attic storey seven shallower glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds, also mostly original. Additional bay to north, beyond line of original quoins, has mid C19 basket arched doorcase with latin inscription on lintel, C19 glazing bar sash over similar to those to south and above again a copy of the attic sashes with chamfered quoins to north side. Parapet over has balustraded panel and is apparently dated 1693. Beyond to north the gabled bay with a single glazing bar sash in flush surround to ground floor, pair of adjoining glazing bar sashes above and a coved cornice and arrow type cross window in gable. Five bay south elevation of 1800 house has advanced central three bays and central semi-circular Doric porch, with balcony over, covering double glazed doors. To either side full height sashes under flat arches, the pair to east plain sashes, and the pair to west glazing bar sashes. Similar, shallower, sashes over in same arrangement. Over balcony, a canted bay window under segmental relieving arch with stone fanlight-like decoration. Large pediment over advanced central bays,with central bull's eye window.

Listing NGR: SK2409464164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
81057
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].