MEHAL MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158211

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: MEHAL MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEHAL MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:17:28.

Location

Statutory Address: MEHAL MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Keverne

National Grid Reference: SW 78029 22164

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST KEVERNE SW 72 SE 3/98 Mehal Mill II Water mill, circa C18. Whitewashed rubble walls with half-hipped slate roof. Rectangular plan. 2 storeys, asymmetrical 2 window front. 2-light casement window partly intact to left on ground floor with entrance to right of centre. Two 2- light casement windows with glazing bars on first floor. Rubble stone lean-to onleft-hand gable end. Ground rises up on right to facilitate loading. Steps up to first floor entrance in right-hand gable end. Machinery set low down near ground floor in shallow cog pit. Water wheel, axle and most ironwork missing. Existing wooden gears and 2 pairs of grinding stones. Derelict. Originally on part of Traboe estate which extended into the adjoining parish of St Martin and was granted to monks of St Michaels Mount by Robert, Earl of Mortain about 1087. Mill Mehal, formerly Melyn Myhall meaning St Michael's Mill. Site dates from 1258. Sources: The Water Mills of St Keverne, Anthony Unwin, reprinted from The Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, New Series, Volume VII, part 4, 1977

Listing NGR: SW7802922164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 64678

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Unwin, A, The Water Mills of St Keverne
'Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall' in Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall, , Vol. 7, (1977)

End of official listing