BARLEY WOOD AND MEMORIAL URNS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158238

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: BARLEY WOOD AND MEMORIAL URNS, LONG LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARLEY WOOD AND MEMORIAL URNS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 18:09:05.

Location

Statutory Address: BARLEY WOOD AND MEMORIAL URNS, LONG LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wrington

National Grid Reference: ST 47937 63036

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 SE WRINGTON C.P. LONG LANE (north side)

5/152 Barley Wood and memorial Urns

II

Detached house used as offices. Original cottage orne of 1801-2 extended by Ernest George in 1900 and further extended by Chester H. Jones in 1933. Memorial urns set up in 1802 and 1805. Render with plain tile roofs. L-shaped plan of 2 storeys and attics with several canted bays. Small pane casement fenestration throughout with gabled bargeboarded dormers to roof. East entrance front has a gabled part-glazed porch with half timbering and cusped bargeboards. Round-arched conservatory on openwork piers to east and south fronts. Rendered stacks. 2 memorial urns on south terrace to the philosopher John Locke and to Bishop Beilby Porteus. Locke urn given to Hannah More by Mrs. Montagu in 1789 and moved to Barley Wood in 1802. Limestone. Square plinth with moulded base and cap, neo-classical urn with fluted neck and guilloche frieze. Porteus urn of limestone, erected 1805 by Hannah More. Square plinth moulded at base and cap with bulbous urn. The original cottage orne subsumed by later rebuilding was built for the social reformer and authoress Hannah More after her move from nearby Cowslip Green. (Unpublished history of Barley Wood commissioned by H.A.T. Group Ltd.).

Listing NGR: ST4793763036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34018

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
History of Barley Wood

End of official listing