- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- HALWILL BARTON
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158290 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 10:05:53.
- Statutory Address:
- HALWILL BARTON
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SX 18 NW
1/114 Halwill Barton (previously listed
17.12.62 as Halwell Barton)
House. Circa early C17 partly remodelled in 1692 (datestone). Stone rubble, rendered on south east front elevation and slate-hung on south west (left hand side) elevation. Rag slate roofs. Front range has circa early C17 moulded granite end stack on right, circa C17 granite axial stack on rear left and circa C20 brick lateral stack to front left. Remains of stone rubble stack on gable end of south west rear wing on left. Plan: House arranged around courtyard. Front range on south east of 2 room and cross passage plan, the left hand room heated by a front lateral stack and the right hand room by an end stack. Circa C19 stair probably replacing earlier turreted stair in shallow projection to rear of passage. Lower 2-storey range, probably of 1-room plan added in circa mid C18 on right hand gable end. To rear left the circa C17 south west wing is of 1 room plan, forming a large kitchen, heated by an axial stack with circa C17 granite shaft which backs on to the rear of the left hand room of the front range (south east). This wing was partly remodelled in the late C19. Circa later C19 dairy added on north west gable end of rear wing. The third side of thecourtyard on the north west is enclosed by a probable late C17 service range which was possibly remodelled in the C18 or C19 becoming a shippon with loft above. Circa C19 lean-to outshot added across rear elevation. Stone rubble wall on north east encloses fourth side of courtyard. The datestone 1692 in the label stops on the front elevation probably indicates the date of an addition or remodelling. Exterior: 2 storey south east front elevation with asymmetrical 4 window arrangement. Entrance to right of centre with C19 panelled door and C20 glazed porch. 2 C19 2- light horizontal sliding sashes to left and C19 horizontal sliding sash to right with hoodmould and datestone 1692 in label. First floor with 4 C19 2-light horizontal sliding sashes. The front wall and part of the left hand side wall appear to have been partly rebuilt in the C19. Rear elevation with 3-light mullion window lighting right hand room. Lower 2-storey range on right. South west wing to rear left slate hung with circa early to mid C17 granite chamfered doorframe with pyramid stops to jambs in north east elevation, opening into courtyard. North west wing faces courtyard; 1 storey and attic with 2-light mullion window and row of pigeon holes below eaves and in gable end. Interior: Cross passage in front range on south east flanked by lath and plaster partitions with C19 stair in projection to rear. C20 chimney-piece in left hand room. Ceiling beams replaced in C19. Kitchen in south west wing on rear left has C19 kitchen mantle shelf. Several C18 2-panel doors. First floors and roof not accessible.
Listing NGR: SX1261088660
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.