THE SOPHIA WATER FOUNTAIN AT SK 376 445

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158300

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: THE SOPHIA WATER FOUNTAIN AT SK 376 445, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SOPHIA WATER FOUNTAIN AT SK 376 445
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 04:46:07.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SOPHIA WATER FOUNTAIN AT SK 376 445, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Horsley

National Grid Reference: SK3764144489

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF HORSLEY CHURCH STREET SK 34 SE 4/27 (North Side) The Sophia Water Fountain at SK 376 445

GV II

Water fountain. 1864, funded by Sacheverell Sitwell. Sandstone. Square pier, approximately 5 feet high, on stepped chamfered base with infilled circular low basin to east side. Above, the pier has pointed inset panels to all sides, each panel with moulded hood with Dec style foliage finials and stops. Eastern panel has a lion's head with water spout and inscription over reading 'The Sophia 1864'. North and south panels have rounded corbels to base, as for statues, and the west panel has a rampant lion to top. Over each panel is a gabled roof cut out of the stone and to the base of each gable is a foliage boss. This and the two other water fountains provided the first piped water supply to the village. Each fountain was named after one of Sacheverell Sitwell's daughters.

Listing NGR: SK3764144489

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 78803

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing