Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158441.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 10:08:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 97183 34324


SP 93 SE WOBURN WOBURN PARK 3/195 The Thornery 4.8.80 - - II* Pavilion in form of small picturesque cottage. 1808 by Humphry Repton for John 6th Duke of Bedford. Squared clunch with hipped thatched roof. Small square single-storeyed building. Gable to centre of each elevation. Deep eaves on all sides, supported by pine tree trunks retaining bark. Gables have barkwork bargeboards. N, E and S elevations each have round-arched door- way to central gabled bay. Part-glazed double doors with diamond glazing bars and some coloured glass quarries. Semicircular fanlights with radiating glazing bars. West elevation central bay has round-arched window recess containing rose window. This is ornamented with coloured glass, and incorpo- rates grisaille roundel showing figure group in C15 Flemish style. This west gable has colourwashed brick ridge stack, serving small fireplace below rose window. Interior: ceiling has radiating vaulting and small central cupola, latter not visible externally. Walls and ceiling have painted decoration of bamboo trelliswork covered with variety of plants and birds. 1808 by Augustine (or Agostino) Aglio, probably same as Augustine Agilo (1777-1857), listed as artist, born in Cremona and studied in Milan, in Dictionary of National Biography. Ground drops sharply immediately west of Thornery, and set into bank below it is vaulted serving room. Entrance is of coursed iron- stone with cambered-arched entrance. Part-glazed door flanked by side lights. Lower part of door and panels below windows have rustic twig and barkwork decoration. Glazed parts have ornate leading with some coloured glass. Room has cream ceramic tiles to walls and ceiling, paved floor, and small fireplace to rear wall. Bedfordshire Record Office: Russell Papers - Box R413-414 and R5/1119 Account Book indicate Repton and Aglio respectively as architect and artist of the Thornery.

Listing NGR: SP9718334324


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Concise Dictionary of National Biography, (1939)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].