CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1158465

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:27:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Dorton

National Grid Reference: SP 67887 13944

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 61 SE DORTON

6/67 Church of St. John the Baptist 21.12.67

GV II*



Parish church. Originally C12, with C13 S. porch and C14 S. aisle, altered C15 and C16. Mid C17 tower built into W. bay of nave. Very much restored 1904. Coursed rubble stone, ashlar quoins and chamfered plinth. W. tower is timber-framed with weatherboard cladding and pyramidal roof. All roofs are tiled. Nave has restored C15 2-light cusped window with hoodmould at W. end, 2 1904 3-light traceried windows and a 1904 chimney to N., and a lancet window to S. S. door with moulded arch and jambs. Gabled porch with restored C15 double chamfered arch, and an earlier blocked light in E. side. S. aisle is gabled to S. and has moulded string below eaves. Restored 2-light window with ogee tracery at E. end of aisle, 2-light cusped window with hoodmould to S. Chancel has C16-C17 windows: wide lancet to S; 2 rectangular lights to N.; and small E. window with 2 arched lights. Interior: W. bay of nave has C17 timber partition with narrow panelled screens flanking arch to tower, and 2 arches above to gallery. C19 roofs, the nave with 2 original moulded tie beams. Altered stoup. Short S. arcade to aisle with 2 double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Wide similar chancel arch. Cusped piscina in S. aisle. Fittings: medieval S. door; font with C12 circular basin on later octagonal base,and fine cover of 1631; early C17 arcaded alter rails; other fittings C19. RCHM I p. 131-2.

Listing NGR: SP6788713944

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42448

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing