Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158479.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2021 at 00:43:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Amber Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 41608 44038


PARISH OF SMALLEY BELL LANE SK 44 SW 5/53 (South Side) 14.10.74 Smalley Lodge


Lodge house. 1861 by W E Nesfield, built for the Miller-Mundys of Shipley Hall. Red brick with yellow brick and blue brick bands, also with stone band at sill level on ground floor and stone dressings, now painted. Steeply pitched red plain tile roof and lapped stone coped gables with ridge finials and painted moulded kneelers. Two external side wall brick stacks, that to east wall with corbelled stone cornice and painted stone plaque about half way up inscribed '1861 AM'. Single storey plus attics, and roughly T-plan. 'Old English' style. North elevation has an advanced gabled bay to east with roof extended to west to create a porch. To centre of bay is a canted bay window with chamfered lintels and sills, casements and stone banding to the brick piers. To west is the Caernarvon arched porch doorcase with carved roundels and cambered top to lintel, also plank door with elaborate hinges. To the side of the porch are two adjoining small casements and beyond to west is a 2-light casement window with pointed relieving arch over, infilled with decorative brickwork. West gable wall has central 3-light casement window, also with relieving arch over and decorative brick infill, to centre of which is a painted stone plaque with crest of the Miller-Mundy family. Above, taller 2-light window with relieving arch and a different version of decorative brickwork.

Listing NGR: SK4160844038


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00938/23
Rights: © Mr Peter Holt. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].