Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158585.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jan-2021 at 21:22:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 01571 98364


TQ 0198 CHENIES CHENIES VILLAGE 10/52 22.12.58 Parish Church of St Michael


C15, chancel, nave, south aisle and west tower. North chapel (Bedford Chapel) added 1556, rebuilt, then enlarged 1906. Church heavily restored and substantially rebuilt 1861 and 1887. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Two stage west tower with south-east stair turret, embattled parapet. Four bay nave south aisle. Piers of 4 shafts and 4 hollows, 4-centred arches and 4-light C15 aisle windows. Arches on north into Bedford Chapel. Modern chancel arch. Arch into Bedford Chapel with panelled soffit and jambs, 1556. Stained glass, C16 donor in east window and C14 St Andrew in Bedford Chapel. C16 saint also. Font: Norman enriched tub. Brasses in nave, C15, C16. Bedford Chapel collection of monuments of the very highest quality and importance to the Russell family, Earls and Dukes of Bedford. 1. John Russell, 1st Earl 1555 and wife 1559. Tomb chest with effigies. 2. Lady Bridget, 1600, also tomb chest with effigy. 3. Ann, Countess of Warwick, 1604, tomb chest and effigy. 4. Elizabeth, Lady Russell, 1611, tomb chest and effigy. 5. Lady Frances Bourchier, 1612, tomb chest. 6. 2nd Earl, 1619 by William Cure II, tomb chest with effigies. 7. Lady Chandos, 1623, semi-reclining figure on base. 8. 4th Earl, 1641 and wife 1653. Alabaster. Tomb chest with effigies, back wall with 2 arches and big open pediment. 9. 5th Earl and 1st Duke of Bedford, 1700. Marble pairs of Corinthian columns with oval portrait medallions between 2 life-size seated figures. Baldacchino above. 10. 2nd Duke and Duchess. Made 1769 by Joseph Wilton to designs by Sir William Chambers. White alabaster. Youth and maiden separated by clouds. Putti over. 11. Georgiana, 1858, by Richard Westmacott the Younger. Gothic arch with knobbly foliage. Praying lady in profile. 12. 1st Earl Russell, 1878. 13. Odo, Baron Ampthill, 1884 by Boehm. 14. 9th Duke 1891, by G E Fox in Jacobean style. 15. Lord Arthur Russell 1892 by Alfred Gilbert in Art Nouveau style. 16 C14 monument to a Cheyne and his wife. Table tomb with effigies, his never completed. RCHM I 88 MON.2 C.L. 14.10.1982

Listing NGR: TQ0157498363


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/04764/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Ling. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].