CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158598

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:50:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Ashford in the Water

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SK 19504 69722

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 19 69 PARISH OF ASHFORD IN THE WATER CHURCH STREET 11/19 (North Side) 12.7.1967 Church of Holy Trinity GV II

Church. C12, C13 with C14 alterations, largely rebuilt 1868-70 in Decorated style by JM & H Taylor. Coursed gritstone rubble, gritstone dressings. Plain tile roofs. Stone coped gables and parapets. Western tower, nave, north nave aisle and chancel aisle, south porch and chancel. C13 two stage tower. Central buttress to west with twin lancet over. Moulded stringcourse above. Twin semi- circular headed bell openings to all sides. Clock faces below to north and south. Above, moulded stringcourse and parapets with C14 ridgeback coped embattlements with steeple corner finials. Pointed C19 mullioned and transomed window with reticulated tracery to north. North elevation - 3-light flat headed window with trefoil headed lights and dripmould over with angular scroll labelstops. Triple stepped buttress to east. Two similar windows and buttresses beyond chamfered, pointed C19 doorcase with dripmould over and single light, trefoil headed window, to east. To extreme east, chamfered four-centred arch door with square dripmould and 2-light ogee cusped window with transom. Low parapet wall above. Coping divide roof between nave and chancel. East chancel aisle window C19 pointed mullion and transom window with panel tracery. To south, C19 east 3-light window with cusped intersecting tracery. Chancel has triple stepped corner buttresses and corner steeple finials. South elevation from east - tall cusped lancet with four-centred arch light below transom. Dripmould over. Chamfered pointed C19 doorcase beyond and triple stepped buttress, To west, 2-light transomed window similar to lancet. Large gabletted triple stepped buttress to corner of nave. Beyond to west, 3-light flat headed, transomed window with trefoil headed lights above, 4 centred arched lights below. Similar window beyond south porch. Porch has plinth with moulded, pointed doorcase to south. Above stepped, blind, cusped panels. Inner door has refused C12 tympanum from original church, depicting tree with lion and hog to sides. Five re-used C12 voussoirs over. Interior - C14 chamfered, pointed tower arch with moulded capitals. Heavily restored three bay, C14 north arcade, stepped and chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with simple capitals. C19 chancel arch with chamfered soffit, supported on corbelled out red marble columns with lily capitals. Three bay chancel, pointed arch to organ bay. To east, cusped archway and piscina. East window has 1872 stained glass. North aisle, west window, dated 1878, by Morris & Co. C19 roofs with cusped timbering, contemporary pews. Two Ashford marble tombs, one to Greens of 1846,other to Henry Watson, founder of marble industry, of 1786. Large hatchment of 1724 in tower. C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil stem.

Listing NGR: SK1950469722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 80450

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing