Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158648.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 02:17:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 00111 59595


ROCHE SW 05 NW Carbis Brick and Tile Works 6/201 - II

Row of 3 beehive kilns and chimney, of the Carbis brick and tile works. Late C19. Granite rubble and brick. Row of 3 beehive kilns running in a north/ south axis, with square plan chimney to the south of the northernmost kiln. Circular kilns, about 7 metres in diameter, in granite rubble with coping at the top of the vertical walling, domed brick roofs. Each kiln has a segmental -headed brick doorway to front and rear; the interior is completely faced in brick; with a central circular brick structure for the flue above the furnace, with ventilation slits. The furnace was below the kiln, each kiln with a ventilation hole at the top of the domed roof. The chimney stands on a square battered granite plinth, the square chimney in white brick with cast iron bracing to corners. Base about 3 metres by 3 metres, slightly tapered. Beehive kilns are a rare survival in Cornwall. Sources: Cornwall Committee for Archaeology.

Listing NGR: SX0011159595


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:



0517 AP 13A,
15th century date of smaller tower,
19th century drawing in SMR file,
Account of hut platforms,
Aerial photograph showing ditch,
Aerial view of field sytem, Aerial view of field sytem,
Ancient monuments terrier,
Annotation on record 6": 1 mile,
AP NMR SO4494-95, AP NMR SO4494-95,
AP Ref No. MU CS 97,20, AP Ref No. MU CS 97,20,
AP`s showing traces of field system,
Beaker pottery at Ashmolean Musuem,
Best surviving medieval remains in w,
Card no 0308,
Card no 0356,
Card no 0461,
Card no 0478,
Card no 0516,
Card no 0517,
Card no 1293,
Card no 1643,
Card no 3623,
Church Guide,
Collapse of structure,
Commemorative plaque at Priory House,
Construction during Civil War,
Conversation owners,
Conversation with CAO,
Conversation with owner,
CU ART 51 RC8 EV11,
CUC ARC 1-2, CUC ARC 1-2,
CUC BFA 22-24, CUC BFA 22-24,
CUC BSC 002/003, CUC BSC 002/003,
CUC BWC 024,
CUC BZN 1-2, CUC BZN 1-2,
Dark ring around base of mound,
Date of excavations at the site,
Date of excavations,
Date of finds,
Date of gatehouse,
Depiction on Ordnance Survey Map,
Derbyshire SMR (PRN 8115),
Description of appearance of site,
Description of avenue,
Description of barrow cemetery,
Description of barrow,
Description of building,
Description of E-W gullies,
Description of finds made in 1925,
Description of NW ditch,
Description of other associated finds,
Description of samian and pottery,
Description of SE ditch,
Description of the barrow cemetery,
Description of the ramparts,
Description of urns found in 1925,
Detail development of site AD 200-100,
Detail dimensions of the ditch,
Detail early IA occupation,
Detail finds of RB pottery,
Detail first defences,
Detail of more extensive remains,
Detail partial excavations of 1955,
Detail secondary defences,
Detail size of mound,
Details of 14th century alterations,
Details of 14th century pottery,
Details of 1821 excavations,
Details of 1854 excavations,
Details of 1856 excavation,
Details of 1953-4 excavations,
Details of 1975 excavation,
Details of aerial photographs,
Details of barrow dimensions,
Details of central burial,
Details of central cist at SW end,
Details of circular structure,
Details of debris around well head,
Details of designers of Priory Church,
Details of excavations in 1874,
Details of excavations,
Details of external burial,
Details of finds from excavations,
Details of finds from the site,
Details of finds,
Details of flintwork from the fort,
Details of lifting gear of well,
Details of NE chamber and contents,
Details of parchmarks at site,
Details of partial excavations,
Details of pits recorded by Dymand,
Details of pottery recovered,
Details of Priory wall,
Details of restoration (1951-64),
Details of restoration (1976),
Details of restoration by Joliffe,
Details of Roman pottery from site,
Details of size of rooms,
Details of Skinner`s excavations,
Details of south-eastern structures,
Details of southern cist at SW corner,
Details of structure of barrow,
Details of SW chamber and contents,
Details of the dates of excavations,
Details of the excavations at site,
Details of the fabric of Priory wall,
Details of the name of the site,
Details of the Romano-British finds,
Details of the site name,
Details of the structure of the site,
Details of tiled floor,
Details of wall south of villa range,
Details of well,
Dewpond to the west of settlement,
Different date of E-W gullies,
Dimensions of column,
Dimensions of ditch from AP evidence,
Discovery of burial chamber in 1871,
Discovery of circular footings 1873,
Discovery of RB cremations and graves,
Discovery of RB material around well,
Discovery of RB material during 19thC,
Discussion of excavations at site,
Dissolution date of site,
EH Mon Terrier description,
Excavation by Huntley in 1700,
Excavation conducted before 1880,
Extensive disturbance by later sites,
Extent of enclosure,
Extent of field system,
Field banks enclosing farmstead,
Field survey,
Find of gold slater,
Find of Roman coin,
Finds at British Musuem,
Finds from surrounding area,
Finds of 1885,
Finds of surounding area,
FMW record,
Footings of building,
Foundation by de Redvers in c.1150,
Foundation date of site,
Frances Griffith,
Heath est. before const. of barrow,
Heath present before const. of barrow,
Held by Dr Canadine, The Manor House,
Identification as a saucer barrow,
Iles interpretation of a pillow mound,
In possession of Mr Blunt (owner),
In possession of Mr Blunt (owner),
Incorrect location,
Incorrect suggestion of banjo encl,
information board in castle,
Interpretation as a RB boundary,
Interpretation as a siegework,
Interpretation as stockpens,
Interpretation of colonnade/portico,
Interpretation of eastern entrance,
Interpretation of mound as a barrow,
Interpretation of pillow mounds,
Interpretation of prospecting pit,
Iron Age finds discovered by Warre,
Local enquiry,
Location of ditch by Wessex Arch,
Location of lynchets,
Location of quarry ditch by Wessex Ar,
Mention 1903 Ordnance Survey Map,
Mention archaeological investigations,
Mention associated features,
Mention bank (NAR rept),
Mention barrow ditch,
Mention barrow group,
Mention barrow mound,
Mention barrow name,
Mention barrow,
Mention berm of site,
Mention berm,
Mention Bronze Age urn,
Mention collegiate college,
Mention composition of mound,
Mention condition of barrow,
Mention condition of building,
Mention condition,
Mention cremations and inhumations,
Mention date of enclosure,
Mention dense vegetation,
Mention destruction of barrow,
Mention dimensions of barrow mound,
Mention dimensions of barrow,
Mention dimensions of mound,
Mention ditch of site,
Mention ditch showing as a soil mark,
Mention ditch,
Mention early date for field system,
Mention enclosing wall/ raised area,
Mention enclosure of hilltop,
Mention excavation hollow in NE,
Mention excavations by Alcock,
Mention excavations by St George Gray,
Mention excavations,
Mention field bank to the north,
Mention field observtion,
Mention field system,
Mention find of Bronze Age pottery,
Mention find of urn on south side,
Mention finds from the site,
Mention flag-staff,
Mention flat-topped mound,
Mention flinty mound,
Mention group of 4 barrows,
Mention hole in mound in 1953,
Mention hollow in barrow mound,
Mention hollow in top of mound,
Mention house to the east,
Mention initial composure of building,
Mention interpretation as a hutcircle,
Mention interpretation of kitchens,
Mention location of additional stones,
Mention location of gateway,
Mention mansion at 'The Bowl',
Mention millstream,
Mention mint at Cadanbyrig,
Mention name of site,
Mention nearby long barrow,
Mention no sign of a bailey,
Mention no sign of ditch from AP`s,
Mention no sign of ditch,
Mention of 17th century finds,
Mention of 1870 excavations by Lyons,
Mention of 25 coins of Theodosius,
Mention of aerial photographs,
Mention of AP cropmarks to east,
Mention of artefacts from the site,
Mention of cross bank and ditch,
Mention of dry-stone revetment wall,
Mention of earlier field boundary,
Mention of early ploughing over site,
Mention of enclosure rubble banks,
Mention of entrance of site,
Mention of excavation hollow,
Mention of excavations at the site,
Mention of field lynchets,
Mention of finds from 1870 excavation,
Mention of finds from site,
Mention of finds from the site,
Mention of finds held at Taunton,
Mention of first identification,
Mention of flint find by Westerling,
Mention of flint finds,
Mention of Greenwell record no. 216,
Mention of Greenwell reference 219,
Mention of Greenwell`s ref no. 217,
Mention of Greenwell`s reference 218,
Mention of historic references,
Mention of historical references,
Mention of hollow-way as sunken track,
Mention of hut circles within fort,
Mention of IA/RB fieldsystem,
Mention of identification by Crooke,
Mention of interpretation by Witts,
Mention of interpretation of long bar,
Mention of investigation by Peachy,
Mention of iron ore and white clay,
Mention of medieval pottery at moat,
Mention of motte and bailey castle,
Mention of mound on 1946 AP`s,
Mention of mutilation,
Mention of name of site,
Mention of no sign of ditch from AP`s,
Mention of observation by M Crooke,
Mention of occupation debris,
Mention of parish boundary wall,
Mention of period of occupation,
Mention of pillow mound,
Mention of records from 18th century,
Mention of reference in Saxon Charter,
Mention of sketch of burial chambers,
Mention of stoney patch in field,
Mention of survey by Dennison,
Mention of unauthorised prospecting,
Mention of unburnt human remains,
Mention of urns from chambers,
Mention of various interpretations,
Mention of wartime installations,
Mention of watching brief (1939-40),
Mention OS 1903 map,
Mention OS report,
Mention other fishponds,
Mention other mounds within the area,
Mention part excav. by Wessex Arch,
Mention part excavation by Austen,
Mention partial excavations,
Mention ploughing of mound,
Mention possible site of manor house,
Mention primary inhumation,
Mention profile of ditch,
Mention proximity to long barrow,
Mention quarry,
Mention reduction in barrow height,
Mention revetment of mound,
Mention Roman deposits,
Mention second disc barrow nearby,
Mention shale cup,
Mention site of motte and bailey,
Mention size of barrow and ploughing,
Mention size of barrow mound,
Mention size of features,
Mention skeleton found in 1940-1,
Mention slit trenches on mound,
Mention structure with side extension,
Mention surrounding quarry ditch,
Mention survey by G E Playne 1869,
Mention survey in 1985,
Mention 'T' shaped plan,
Mention the name of the site,
Mention Tithe Map,
Mention trace of ditch,
Mention trace of second barrow mound,
Mention tree clump circle,
Mention variance in size of barrow,
Mention wider barrow cemetery,
Mention wider cemetery,
Mention wider round barrow cemetery,
Misinterpreted as a long barrow,
Mound does not extend NE,
MPP fieldwork by S. Gerrard,
MPP fieldwork by S. Gerrard,
MPP fieldwork by S. Gerrard,
MPP fieldwork by S.Gerrard,
MPP fieldwork S. Gerrard,
MPP site photo,
Mr R Webb, Lodge Secretary,
Name of long barrow,
Name of monument,
Name of site,
Name of the barrow,
Name of the bowl barrow,
Name of the site,
NAR Card no 1645,
NAR Card no SP70NW3,
NAR Card no SP74SE1,
NAR Card no SP84SW6,
NAR Card no SP85SE19,
NAR Card no SP95SW14,
NAR Card no SP95SW15,
NAR Record card no SP95SW14,
NAR record SO36SW14,
NAR ST 87 SE 4,
Nave completed in 1234,
NMR 9240/3, NMR 9240/3,
NMR record TQ 37 NE 68,
NMR TA0376/3/256,
No mention by Grinsell/RCHME,
No obvious signs of ditch on AP`s,
No sign of ditch from A P`s,
No sign of street plan,
No trace of ditch,
Notes in file CB25/A, SR 102,
Notes in file CB25\A (SR 102),
Notes on file at HPG Midlands,
notes on file CB25/A (SR Rm 102),
Oblique AP file SMR, untitled series,
Occurrence of graves across hilltop,
Olique APs and a vertical AP in SMR,
on display inside church,
On site information,
On site interpretative board,
Oral with Dr T.A.P. Greeves,
Ordnance Survey , 541/30/3047-48,
Originally surrounded by moat,
Outer banks 3m high,
Oval shape in 1926,
Part Excavations,
Photographic evidence,
PI 156,
PI 159,
PI 174,
PI 257,
PI 288,
PI 333,
PI 341,
Pickering, J,7757/4-8,13 7857/7,
Pitstone SP 91 NW 4/149,
Placename associations,
Poss. early industrial significance,
Possibility of the name Portbury Hill,
Possible enclosure within fieldsystem,
Presence of similar structures to S,
Priory replaced collegiate college,
PRN 2405 and 2485,
PRN 2408,
PRN 2417,
PRN 2425,
PRN 2426,
PRN 4327,
PRN 542,
RCHM archive text,
RCHM archive text.,
Recent survey by RCHME,
Recognition by OS in 1887,
Record 1052,
Record no 00186,
Record no 00187,
Record no 00193,
Record no 00194,
Record no 01230,
Record no 01235,
Record no 01238,
Record no 01244,
Record no 01869,
record no 070248,
Record no 1051,
Record no 1166,
Record no 1185,
Record no 1221,
Record no 148,
Record no 358,
Record No. 01236,
Record no. 01241,
ref. 1676/0/3,
Reference aerial photographs of ditch,
Reference the barrow group,
Reference the barrow,
Reference to barrow cemetery,
Reference to Crawford identification,
Reference to dry stone wall on site,
Reference to Greenwell`s number 220,
Reference to hut circles in west,
Reference to name Cadcong,
Reference to Roman structures,
Reference to round barrow cemetery,
Reference to the two nearby barrows,
Report of mounds on aerial photograph,
Report of name of field by Vlasto,
Report of name of the field by Vlasto,
Second bowl barrow nearby,
See 146456,
Shale working,
Site recognised by Os in 1887,
Size of enclosure within field system,
Size of feature,
Size of stone column,
Size of terraces,
SMR card no 3653,
SMR no 1339.01.000,
SMR no. 32.00,
SMR Record 08203,
SMR Record 1645,
SMR Record 1661,
SMR Record 219,
SMR Record 230,
SMR Record No. 01528,
SMR Record no. 1022.12, 1022.13,
SMR record no. 492.00000,
SMR record no. 492.01000,
SMR record no. 492.01100,
SMR Ref. 00231,
Somerset 10594,
Somerset 54640,
Somerset SMR 33638,
South Yorks SMR (PI 372),
Structure of burial chamber and finds,
Suggestion of bailey on AP`s,
Suggestion of early manor inside moat,
suggestion of monument as sheep encl,
Tesserated pavement found in 1888,
Tesserated pavement found in 1888,
The name of the monument,
The name of the monument,
The name of the monument,
Title: Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Ordnance Survey depiction
Title: Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Ordnance Survey Map used for previous sched. docs
Title: Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Site shown on 1834 Tithe Map
Title: 1:2500 Map Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 SU7173 Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Total area of surviving village,
Total size of village/field system,
Two stone structures,
Two structures identified,
Types of pottery remains recovered,
View of feature,
View of ridge and furrow,
View of site,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12499/19
Rights: © Mr Colin G. L. Beveridge. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].