This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PAIR OF GATE PIERS AND STILES IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF BOSVATHICK LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PAIR OF GATE PIERS AND STILES IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF BOSVATHICK LODGE

List entry Number: 1158710

Location

PAIR OF GATE PIERS AND STILES IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF BOSVATHICK LODGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Constantine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 73 SE CONSTANTINE

6/19 Pair of gate-piers and stiles immediately north east of Bosvathick Lodge 10.7.57 (formerly listed as Entrance gateway Bosvathic Lodge)

GV II

Pair of gate-piers and adjoining stiles at drive entrance to Bosvathick House (qv). Circa late C17 or early C18 gate-piers; the scrolled brackets either side and lions may be earlier C17 and the stiles are probably late C19. All granite. Pair of granite ashlar gate-piers either side of the drive carriageway have plinths, Torus neck moulding and cyma moulded cornice caps with round ogee finials supporting balls. There is a short section of wall either side supporting a large granite scroll bracket; these are probably reused coping terminals. There is a low pedestal at either end, each supporting a large granite heraldic lion couchant with a flat face. The lions are probably also reused. They are about one metre in length from head to tail. Between the lion's pedestals and pier brackets there is a granite stile on both sides of the gateway. The main carriageway has a late C19 diagonally braced wooden gate. The gate-piers are probably the same date as the main south front of Bosvathick House. Alternatively they may not belong here at Bosvathick since Henderson reports that they are said to have come from Trewardeva House (qv), whose other gate-piers (pair of gate-piers south east of Trewardreva house qv) are probably coeval with the 1719 remodelling of Trewardreva House. Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall, page 78.

Listing NGR: SW7544230093

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall78

National Grid Reference: SW7544230093

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158710 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 07:45:35.

End of official listing