NORTH ENTRANCE TO WELLLOW TUNNEL, 100 YARDS TO NORTH OF WHITE BAINES, BULL'S HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1158774

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: NORTH ENTRANCE TO WELLLOW TUNNEL, 100 YARDS TO NORTH OF WHITE BAINES, BULL'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH ENTRANCE TO WELLLOW TUNNEL, 100 YARDS TO NORTH OF WHITE BAINES, BULL'S HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:35:38.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTH ENTRANCE TO WELLLOW TUNNEL, 100 YARDS TO NORTH OF WHITE BAINES, BULL'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wellow

National Grid Reference: ST 74265 58431

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7458 WELLOW C.P.

12/65 North entrance to Wellow Tunnel, 100 yards to north of White Baines, Bull's Hill

II

North entrance to Wellow Tunnel. Circa 1800 for Somersetshire Coal Canal. The surveyor for the canal was William Smith, "the Father of British Geology", under the supervision of John Rennie. The engineer was William Bennet. Coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings. Semi-circular arch with keystone. Band. Pilaster strips to either side and high coped parapet. The interior of the tunnel is masonry lined. The southern (Midford-Radstock) branch of the Coal Canal was completed in 1798 but was abandoned in 1815 when a tramway was laid along it.

Listing NGR: ST7426458430

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32411

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing