CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1158790

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHESTERFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158790 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:38:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHESTERFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Shirland and Higham

National Grid Reference: SK 39970 58458

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 35 NE PARISH OF SHIRLAND & HIGHAM CHESTERFIELD ROAD 4/36 (East Side) Church of St Leonard 31-1-67 II*

Church, C15, C17, restored 1848 and 1929 and chancel much rebuilt. Massive sandstone blocks, except chancel of coursed squared sandstone. Gritstone dressings. Copper nave and nave aisle roofs, C20 concrete tile chancel roof. Embattled nave, nave aisles and tower with ridgeback copings and crocketed pinnacles. Stone coped gables. Shallow plinth. Western tower, clerestoried nave, nave aisles, north vestry, south porch and chancel. Exterior: three stage western tower with stepped diagonal buttresses to parapet level. Four- centred arched west door with continuous moulded architrave and moulded hood. Above, pointed 3-light window with trefoil headed lights and transom. Moulded hood with carved stops. Over, on second stage, clock face and stringcourse. Y-tracery, louvred bell openings in four-centred arches to all sides. Embattled parapets with corner and central pinnacles. North nave aisle has buttresses to centre and west corner. Pointed arched doorcase with cavetto moulded architrave to west. To east, two C15 flat headed 3-light windows withuoefoil headed lights, pierced cusped spandrels and Tudor dripmoulds. Above, three flat headed C17 3-light clerestory windows with semi-circular headed lights and incised spandrels. Three crocketed pinnacles to parapets over. To east, gabled north vestry with four-centred arched C19 doorcase, C19 2-light window, similar to clerestory windows and single light window beyond. Four-centred arched C19 east vestry window with panel tracery. Larger, more complex, similar style east window. Continuous sill band below. South chancel wall has C15 cusped 3-light window, as in north aisle. To west, 2-light window with cusped ogee tracery. South nave aisle has 3-light windows, similar to northern clerestory windows, to east wall and east of south wall. Three similar over in clerestory. To west of nave aisle, another flat headed cusped 3-light window, as in north nave aisle. Stepped buttresses to corner and between windows. South porch with stone slab roof. Four-centred arched door with niche over. Cavetto moulded inner door. To west, flat headed 2-light window with trefoil headed lights and Tudor dripmould. Similar embattle- ments and crockets as to north. Interior: three bay C15 arcades with octagonal columns, moulded capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. Similar tall tower arch. Chancel arch has chamfered soffit supported by moulded corbels. To north, C17 3-light window to east of north aisle, C19 king post nave roof, scissor truss roof to chancel. Large segmental arch through to north organ bay in chancel. To east, pointed door to vestry. Beyond, to east, large C15 wall tomb with large crocketed ogee arch, cusping below. Pinnacle pilasters to either side. Alabaster base with carved coats of arms. To south wall of chancel, inserted alabaster plaque of two men and two women kneeling at prayer stools. All decapitated. Also, two C18 wall memorials. Fine alabaster tomb in north nave aisle to Revel family of 1537. Carved with two life size figures on top. Sides have cusped panels with coat of arms, and twisted moulding between. Also grand wall memorial of 1706 to John Revell. Another,of classical inspiration,of 1774 to James Laverack. Glass mostly C20,fragments of early glass to clerestory windows. C15 octagonal font with carved decoration in quatrefoils to each side.

Listing NGR: SK3997058458

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 79424

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing