Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158849.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 02:35:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Dominick
National Grid Reference:
SX 39890 67827


ST DOMINICK ST DOMINICK SX 36 NE 3/235 Church of St Dominica 23.1.68 GV I Parish church. C14, with additions of early C15 and late C15; C19 restoration. Tower in slatestone rubble with granite dressings. South aisle and south porch in granite ashlar with granite dressings; north aisle in slatestone rubble with granite dressings and granite ashlar roof stair, the west end rendered and the east end in ashlar. Chancel in slatestone rubble. Slate roofs with ridge tiles and gable ends. Plan: Nave and chancel in one; west tower of late C14. South aisle and south porch added in early C15, with north aisle and rood stair of late C15. Exterior: The nave is concealed. by the aisles. The chancel east end has no plinth; C15 4-light window with C19 mullions, cusped lights with upper tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould with label stops. West tower in 3 stages, with diagonal weathered buttresses, and string courses. The third stage is corbelled out with a double upper string course and recessed panels between the string courses to east, south and west, with 3 panels, each with a carved figure. Embattled parapet and pinnacles. West doorway has 4-centred arch, rounded convex-moulded surround with bar and heart stops, concave outer moulding with same stops and hood mould, C19 double doors; this doorway is similar to that on the tower at the Church of St Leonard and St Dilp, Landulph (q.v.). 2-light west window, with cusped lights and upper tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. 2nd stage west and south 2 lancets. South stair tower with pitched roof at first stage. 2nd stage north has lancet and clock. 3rd stage has 2-light bell-openings with 3-centred arched lights, and pierced lead louvres. South aisle of 5 bays with the porch in the west bay; on chamfered plinth continuous with the porch plinth. To south there are three windows, 3-light, with cusped lights, square head and hood mould. To east, a 3-centred arched doorway with plain door and similar 2-light window. East end has 3-light window with cusped lights and upper tracery, & 4-centred arch and hood mould. Slate tablet attached, to Benjamin Fowell, 1803. The west end has 3-light window as to east. Gabled south porch has weathered diagonal buttresses. 4-centred arched outer doorway with clustered piers with plain abaci, C20 lamp set above. Stepped chamfered 4- centred arch. The interior of the porch has C15 wagon roof, ceiled, with moulded ribs and carved bosses and wall-plate. C19 tiled floor. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch, hollow-chamfered with pyramid stops, C19 door with strap hinges. North aisle of 5 bays, with four 3-light C15 windows, with cusped lights, square heads and hood moulds recessed surround. In the centre, the ashlar rood stair, on hollow-chamfered plinth, stepped up from the hollow-chamfered plinth of the aisle; small single light an pitched roof. The west bay has a blocked 4-centred arched doorway, with recessed spandrels with leaves, square head and hood mould, roll- moulded surround. East end in ashlar, with 3-light window as on south aisle. West end rendered, with similar 3-light window. Interior: Plastered walls and C19 tiled floor. Nave, chancel and aisles has late C15 wagon roofs, ceiled, with moulded ribs and fine carved bosses, carved wall-plate with pomegranates, leaves and flowers; the aisle wall-plates are brattished. Chancel roof painted in C19 with stencilled decoration. Tall narrow 4-centred tower arch; pointed chamfered doorway to south tower stair, door with strap hinges. The south arcade is earlier that the north arcade, with stepped and chamfered rounded arches, with a 4- centred arch at the east end. Piers of four shafts with moulding between, plain moulded capitals and bases. Piers at the junction between the nave and the chancel to north and to south have an opening for the rood loft. 5-bay north arcade, with taller 4-centred arches, with 2 concave mouldings and Pevsner A-type piers with geometric carved abaci. The north arcade was probably built at the same time as the rood screen, as the capitals of the pier on that side is not carved, whereas the pier on the south arcade is carved on all sides. North aisle has a round-arched doorway to the rood stari and an upper chamfered doorway; stone newel stair. Chancel has cusped piscina and aumbry to south, C19 aumbry to north. North aisle has C19 south aumbry. South aisle has chamfered piscina to south. Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit, and fine organ, with panels with painted figures of the saints. Part of the C15 rood screen preserved in the north aisle. Octagonal stone front in nave, possibly C19. Monuments in north aisle: oval slate convex tablet with stone carved wreath surround with putti and grotesque mask, to William Brendon, 1700 4/5. In south aisle: marble tablet on slate ground with arpon, cornice and urn, to Thomas Horndon, Rector, 1800; marble tablet on corbels with slate pilasters, cornice and inclined shield of arms, to John Clarke, 1749; fine chest tomb in slate with stone dressings, shields and crests on stone pilasters to side, moulded edge with geometric decoration; recumbent stone effigies, to Sir Anthony Rous of Halton and his son Ambrose, both died 1620, both in Jacobean armour, with 2 shields of arms with helms and inscription tablet on the wall at the east end. Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX3989267827


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15543/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Spreadborough. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].