WESLEYAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1158853
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
WESLEYAN CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WESLEYAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 08:47:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
WESLEYAN CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Teath
National Grid Reference:
SX0503484486

Details

ST TEATH TRELIGGA SX 08 SE 4/218 Wesleyan Chapel - GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Church now used as store. 1829 (datestone). Stone rubble. Cement washed rag slate roof with hipped ends. Plan : rectangular plan with entrance in front hipped end. Exterior : Single storey. Plank door to entrance with flat dressed stone arch and plaque with datestone above. Left hand side wall has two 2-centred dressed stone arches to window openings, the margin glazing bars of the sash windows partly replaced. 2 horned sashes with intersecting glazing bars originally lit rostrum at 'east' end. Interior not inspected. Treligga became a regular preaching place in 1816 and in 1829 Nathaniel Northey joined T. P. Rosevear and others in formations of trust to erect chapel on land obtained by G. Martyn of Helland. In 1835 a bitter dispute between the reformers and Wesleyans led to the trustees of Treligga obtaining a legal injunction preventing the Wesleyan superintendent from entering the chapel. The trustees copy is held in the offices of Connexional Chapel Department, Manchester. Shaw, T. Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963 1963

Listing NGR: SX0503484486

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68655
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Shaw, T, Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04330/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles A Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].