SPEEN CHURCH (BAPTIST)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1158973
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
SPEEN CHURCH (BAPTIST), CHAPEL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPEEN CHURCH (BAPTIST)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:05:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
SPEEN CHURCH (BAPTIST), CHAPEL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Wycombe (District Authority)
Parish:
Lacey Green
National Grid Reference:
SU 84432 99759

Details

SU 89 NW LACEY GREEN CHAPEL HILL (SPEEN)

7/68 Speen Church (Baptist)

-

- II

Baptist church. Earliest part documented 1802, vestry added to right 1817, extended to rear 1834. Hall added to left 1970s. Original part is of flint with dentil brick eaves and old tile roof, hipped to left. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Ground floor has semi-circular arched windows with barred wooden casements and flint arches. 3-light barred wooden casements above. Round window to centre over flush-panelled door with semi-circular flint arch and blind tympanum. Vestry to right is dated TG 1817 on brick over door and has other dated and initialled bricks in door jambs. Flint with brick dressings. Flush panelled door, paired barred wooden casement above. Similar narrow wing to rear is dated 18 TA 34 on stone tablet, and has 2 arched windows and 2 paired casements. Single storey hall with flat roof, tiled parapet and barred wooden casements. Interior: gallery of c. 1830-40 around 3 sides with simple stick balustrade, on wooden column shafts; pulpit with similar balustrade to centre of N. wall; rows of hat pegs along W. wall; removable shutters to vestry.

Listing NGR: SU8443299759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
46338
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05929/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barry Blight. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].