CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159061

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, JACKSON'S LANE, CA10 3LD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159061 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:24:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, JACKSON'S LANE, CA10 3LD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Shap

National Grid Reference: NY 56392 15338

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 5614/5, 27/142

SHAP, JACKSON'S LANE (South side), Shap, Church of St Michael

06.02.68

G.V.

II

Parish Church. Probably dates from C12. Later additions and alterations: C13 side aisle; 1765 chancel rebuilt; 1828 west tower rebuilt; 1898-9 extensive restoration with north vestry and chancel rebuilt and south chapel added (date stone on south side). Ashlar and snecked rubble on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses. Graduated slate roofs with stone copings and apex crosses. West tower, nave with south aisle, chancel with south chapel and north vestry. 2-stage tower with C19 double doors in surround with 4-centred head; louvred openings to 2nd stage; parapet castellated. 4-bay nave (extended to form baptistry on south side) and 2-bay chancel. Windows mainly multi-light (some original C16); single-light window to each end of north nave elevation. Interior: South arcade of 4 semicircular arches carried between stone columns with moulded plinths and capitals. 1899 carved wooden pulpit in north-east corner of nave. Re-used C17 communion rail with turned balusters. Octagonal stone pillar font at east end of south aisle presented by Mrs Bindloss in 1880; cylindrical polished granite font at west end of south aisle presented by Shap Granite Co. in 1899. Some early C20 glass.

Listing NGR: NY5639215338

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74158

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing