TUSCAN PAVILIONS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159093

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1985

Statutory Address: TUSCAN PAVILIONS

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUSCAN PAVILIONS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159093 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 18:55:29.

Location

Statutory Address: TUSCAN PAVILIONS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Wotton Underwood

National Grid Reference: SP 68106 16061

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 61 NE WOTTON UNDERWOOD WOTTON HOUSE

3/172 Tuscan Pavilions (formerly listed under Wotton House)

25.10.51

GV II

Pair of garden pavilions. 1750s, repaired and largely reconstructed in the 1980s. Each pavilion takes the form of a small temple with a pedimented wooden portico of 4 Tuscan columns at each end. Short lath and plaster side walls and single cross wall, slate roofs. Pavilions overlook the lake and are set at slight angle to wide avenue along main axis of house. Illustrated in Country Life 1949 July 8th.

The historic designed landscape surrounding an early-C18 country house, with a contemporary layout, probably by George London and Henry Wise, developed into an extensive mid-C18 park for George Grenville by Lancelot Brown; William Pitt, later first Earl of Chatham, is credited with significant input with regard to the design.

Listing NGR: SP6810616061

The List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 10 August 2016 as part of the tercentenary celebration of Lancelot Capability Brown's birth.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42565

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1994), 764-7
Phipps, J L (Debois Landscape Survey Group), Wotton Underwood: A survey of the landscape, (1999)
Whately, T, Observations on Modern Gardening, (1771), 84-88
'Country Life' in 8 July, (1949)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

End of official listing