This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARY NEWMAN'S HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARY NEWMAN'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1159100

Location

MARY NEWMAN'S HOUSE, 48, CULVER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Saltash

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Nov-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60421

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULVER ROAD 1. 5155 No 48 (Mary Newman's House) (formerly listed as No 2 Culver Park Cottages (Mary Newman's Cottage) under Silver Street) SX 4358 6/15 17.1.52 II GV 2. Thought to be C16 and traditionally the house of Francis Drake's wife. There is little doubt about this house which is even C17 (see entrance and possibly newel staircase position), even the typically vernacular lateral chimney is possibly a C19 insertion (RCHM report 2 June 1975). 2 storeys irregularly spaced. 2 windows mostly modern replacements, although one on ground floor has worn oak mullions. Granite central doorway with segmental and moulded head. Lateral rubble stopped chimney with brick top. Stone platform to door against steepness of the hill. Built of rubble with slate roof. Interior: much remodelled in c 1700 and C19. Through passage with plank and muntin partitions, newel staircase in thickness of wall to rear.



Listing NGR: SX4321358657

Selected Sources

Other
Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Report June 2, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SX 43205 58656

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 04:25:47.

End of official listing