CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159108

Date first listed: 10-May-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, BROOMSIDE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159108 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:34:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, BROOMSIDE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Belmont

National Grid Reference: NZ 30397 43615

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELMONT BROOMSIDE LANE NZ 34 SW (North side) 7/11 Church of St. 10/5/67 Mary Magdalene GV II

Parish church. 1857 by William Butterfield. Minor late C19 alterations; 1901 vestry by C.H. Fowler. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings; plinth to vestry. Welsh slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. 4-bay nave with north porch; 2-bay chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Steps up to boarded north door, with leaf-decorated strap hinges, in deeply-moulded 2-centred-arched surround, under wood-bracketed castslide roof. Ovolo-moulded cusped ogee tracery in windows, mostly 2-light, with alternate-block surrounds and sloping sills. South-west nave window more elaborate and with dripmould. Decorated 3-light east window has beakhead-stopped dripmould; west window has plate tracery with 3 ogee-headed lights. Short buttresses, and continuous stepped sill string, to chancel, vestry and north nave. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced roof with collars and short king-posts, having 2 tiers of thin wood arches between each collar and apex, and bolted arch braces; tension rods stirrup-fastened to king-posts. Deep dripmould over high chamfered chancel arch with inner ovolo-moulded arch on shafts with fillets. Similar dripmould to vestry door. Ovolo-moulded window surrounds with double-chamfered sill steps. 1892 reredos by Butterfield. Early C20 pews by Thompson of Masham. Chancel panelling with traceried arch over sedilia. East window dated and signed 1923 by W. Glasby London.

Listing NGR: NZ3039743615

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 110000

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing