This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GREYHOUND HOTEL WITH MILESTONE AND MOUNTING BLOCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREYHOUND HOTEL WITH MILESTONE AND MOUNTING BLOCK

List entry Number: 1159149

Location

GREYHOUND HOTEL WITH MILESTONE AND MOUNTING BLOCK, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shap

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74171

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHAP MAIN STREET NY 5614/5 (East side), Shap

27/156 Greyhound Hotel with milestone & mounting 6.2.68 block

GV II

Coaching Inn, now hotel. Various datestones recorded: Kitchen fireplace inscribed August the 27 1680 with initials R. & W.A.; bar fireplace 1696 with initials A.W.; on panel over carriage arch 1703 with initials A.W. & W.W. & bas-relief of a greyhound. Later additions and alterations. Initials are those of Whinfell family whose crest was a greyhound. Wet-dashed rubble on plinth. Graduated slate roof with stone ridge. 2 storeys, 7 bays overall; wing (1680) projects to rear. 4-bay 1696 addition: Panelled door in open,flat-roofed porch with cast-iron columns; recumbent sculpture of greyhound on roof probably by Thomas Bland of Reagill. 2 tripartite sashes to each floor on left and one above. Symmetrical 1703 extension to right: Central segment-headed carriage arch now part-blocked with fixed window; sash to each floor on either side. All windows with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Rendered mid and end chimneys. Milestone with shaped head, to right of entrance, is probably mid C18 for Turnpike. Painted black with lettering picked out in white: Kendal X6/Penrith Xl/Miles (sic). Stone mounting block to right of former carriage arch. Cottages adjoining south return not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NY5666514244

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 56665 14244

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159149 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 11:42:18.

End of official listing