Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159205

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1966



Ordnance survey map of SWANWICK HALL SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Apr-2019 at 16:53:00.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Swanwick

National Grid Reference: SK4050053060


SK 45 SW 4/116 13.7.66

SWANWICK DERBY ROAD (east side) Swanwick Hall School


House, now school. Mid C18 with late C19 additions and alterations, converted to school and extended by G Widdows in 1930's, also with 1959 additions. Red brick with stone and gauged brick dressings, slate and plain tile roofs. C18 part of three storeys and three bays flanked by recessed late C19 3 bay wing to right and 2 bay wing to left; to rear of each wing there are 1930's classroom ranges with linking corridor to north forming rear courtyard. C18 house has stone plinth and steps up to central pedimented stone Tuscan doorcase with pulvinated frieze and half glazed door. To either side there are 12 pane sashes and above there are three 9 pane sashes. Above again three smaller 9 pane sashes. All windows below flat gauged brick arches. Dentilled stone cornice and hipped slate roof with central square lantern, also topped by hipped roof. Capped brick side wall stacks. Wing to right has wide doorcase to left with panelled door flanked by side lights below flat gauged brick arch with stone keyblock and bracketed stone hood. To right is a sash in pilastered stone surround supporting oriel window above, a moulded oval window with keystoned surround and a shell headed niche in pilastered surround also supporting oriel window above. Two canted stone oriels have sashes to each side, to left over the doorcase is a semi-circular headed fixed small pane window below flat brick arch. All sashes to this wing have glazing bars to upper sash and plain lower sashes. Continuous first floor and sill stringcourses moulded stone cornice and ramped brick parapets above. Left wing has large canted ground floor bay with balustrade parapet, full height C20 windows to each side. Two C20 windows below flat brick arches above, moulded stone cornice and brick parapets over. Slate roofs to both wings, right wing with hipped roof, both with brick stacks. Left wing dated 1891. Rear elevation of C18 house has sashes below flat brick arches and central stone porch with pedimented doorcase. Widdows classroom extensions have central tall semi-circular archways through the wings, flanked by narrow ramped walls and classrooms to either side with open timber arcaded corridors to front, small paned windows and hipped plain tile roofs. Interior of original hall has late C19 cantilevered open well staircase with twisted and straight metal balusters, wreathed and ramped handrail and stone steps. Original C18 cornices and doors throughout. George Widdows was the County Architect in the early years of this century and pioneered healthier designs for school buildings, introducing extra ventilation and verandah corridors.

Listing NGR: SK4050053060


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 79158

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing