COUNTS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159209
Date first listed:
06-May-1952
Statutory Address:
COUNTS HOUSE, THE BANKS (LEFT BANK OF RIVER WEAR)

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNTS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159209 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 02:44:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
COUNTS HOUSE, THE BANKS (LEFT BANK OF RIVER WEAR)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27296 41772

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE BANKS NZ 2741 NW (Left bank of River Wear)

16/31 Count's House 6/5/52 GV II

Summer house. Circa 1810. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar portico; stone-flagged roof. Greek Doric style. One storey, one bay. Tetrastyle portico has dentilled pediment; flat stone lintels over empty central door and flanking windows. Interior has stone-flagged floor; roof of king and queen post trusses. Historical note; named because mistaken for a house now demolished, which was lived in by 'Count' Boruwlaski, a Polish dwarf, at the end of the C18, in the grounds of No. 12 South Bailey.

Listing NGR: NZ2729641772

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110079
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03607/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].