STABLE BLOCK (CRAFT CENTRE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159234

Date first listed: 22-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK (CRAFT CENTRE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK (CRAFT CENTRE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 22:03:52.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK (CRAFT CENTRE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Mawgan-in-Meneage

National Grid Reference: SW 72015 23872

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 72 SW MAWGAN-IN-MENEAGE TREWLOWARREN

4/173 Stable block (Craft Centre)

GV II

Stable block, now a craft centre. Dated 1669 and 1882 the later date the probable construction date, the other datestone resited, possibly from the building formerly on this site. Serpentine ashlar with granite dressings. Steep hipped dry Delabole slate roof with projecting eaves. Rectangular on plan with central front entrance, now one room but formerly divided into standings for horses as the paved floors indicate. Circa late C17-early C18 in style with suggestions of Baroque in the cupola. Two storeys. Symmetrical 5 window front with original 12-pane horned sashes, the granite header and stretcher jambstones and wedged lintels emphasising the openings. Wide central doorway with panelled doors and overlight. Paired eaves brackets. Over the middle of the roof is a square clock turret with moulded cornice and clockface on front carrying an hexangonal cupola; the entablature breaks forward over the 6 Tuscan columns and over is an ogee-shaped lead-sheathed roof surmounted by a weather vane. Interior has its original floor structure with heavy cross beams, and the original King post roof structure. This building replaces a similar probably late C17 building (shown in an C18 engraving by Borlase).

Listing NGR: SW7201523872

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65330

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

End of official listing