HOLY WELL OF ST CLETHER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1159283
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
HOLY WELL OF ST CLETHER

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY WELL OF ST CLETHER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159283 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 16:01:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY WELL OF ST CLETHER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Clether
National Grid Reference:
SX2023084591

Details

ST CLETHER SX 28 SW 4/174 Holy Well of St Clether 19/1/52 GV II*

Holy well. Probably C15 with earlier origins, restored in 1897. Roughly dressed granite with steeply pitched roof constructed of large granite slabs with gable ends to front and rear. Plan: Rectangular plan, built into side of bank, with ground rising to rear. The water flows into the well sump and then is conveyed through an underground channel under the east end of St Clether Chapel (qv) which stands only 1.5m to the south. Exterior: Tall narrow wellhouse with high steeply pitched roof; gable end to front. Hollow chamfered granite basket arch in front with stone rubble walls flanking, projecting to left and right forming low benches. Interior: Rectangular plan well sump. Baring-Gould, S. 'The Well-Chapel of St Clether' Cornish Magazine, vol. 1, 1898. Lane-Davies, A. Holy Wells of Cornwall, reprinted 1970.

Listing NGR: SX2023084591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68387
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lane-Davies, A, Holy Wells of Cornwall, (1970)
Baring Gould, S, 'Cornish Magazine' in The Well Chapel of St Clether, (1898)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13308/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].