CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159286

Date first listed: 10-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 03:21:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Croxdale and Hett

National Grid Reference: NZ 26694 37647

Details

CROXDALE AND HETT MAIN STREET NZ 2637 (North side) Sunder land Bridge 16/67 Church of St. 10/5/67 Bartholomew (formerly listed in Sunderland Bridge C.P.) II Parish church. 1843-6 by George Pickering; north wall demolished and new nave and chancel added 1876-8 by C.H. Fowler. Romanesque style with Decorated Gothic additions. Squared sandstone with dressings and Welsh slate roofs. West tower; original nave (now south aisle), original chancel (now vestry/ organ chamber), added nave and chancel on north. Tower and original nave and chancel have round-arched openings of 2 orders with roll-moulded outer orders on colonnettes with scalloped capitals. 4-stage tower has clasping buttresses on lower stages, south doorway, 2-light belfry windows and parapet on corbel table. Original 3-bay nave has chamfered plinth, flat-buttressed bay divisions, sill and impost bands; single window under hoodmould in each bay; corbel table at eaves of steeply-pitched roof with coped gables. Lower, narrower original 2-bay chancel has similar details, south doorway with zigzag on outer order, paired lights in each bay, single window on buttressed east end and a steeply-pitched roof. Slightly longer and taller added nave and chancel have pointed 2- and 3-light windows, with trefoil-headed lights, similar 5-light east window and steep roofs. Interior: Original north wall replaced 1876 by 5-bay wood arcade to nave and 2-bay pointed stone arcade to chancel. Original semicircular chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer order with zigzag on responds with scalloped capitals. Added nave has arch-braced king-post roof. Added chancel has 1897 Perpendicular- style rood screen and barrel roof. Elaborate crocketed early C19 wood font cover. Some c.1876 stained glass by Clayton and Bell.

Listing NGR: NZ2669437647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 109948

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing