SNOWDON TOMBSTONE CIRCA 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159320
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
SNOWDON TOMBSTONE CIRCA 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SNOWDON TOMBSTONE CIRCA 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159320 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:25:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
SNOWDON TOMBSTONE CIRCA 8 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 54810 18779

Details

ESTON CHURCH LANE, NZ 51 NW (NZ 548 187) west side (off)

6/3 Snowdon tombstone c.8m south-east of Church of St. Helen.

G.V. II

Tombstone to George Snowdon, died 18th March 1770. Thick sandstone slab with nowy head Convex west face has epitaph under carved hourglass, within scrolled moulded border ornamented with flowers. The year of death is given as 1769 and 1770 and the age of the departed: 65 and 75; both sets of figures being superimposed. Ribbon at head of tombstone, inscribed: "Death is certain - Time is uncertain", reflecting the confusion caused by the changeover from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar in 1752.

Listing NGR: NZ5481018779

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60246
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11888/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].