RED RIVER BRIDGE AND BOUNDARY STONE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159370
Date first listed:
15-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
RED RIVER BRIDGE AND BOUNDARY STONE, GREEN LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159370.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jul-2021 at 20:35:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
RED RIVER BRIDGE AND BOUNDARY STONE, GREEN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ludgvan
National Grid Reference:
SW5134531141

Details

MARAZION

SW 53 SW1/3

Green Lane

Red River Bridge and boundary stone

(formerly listed as "Marazion Old Bridge")

15.12.55

II

Road bridge over confluence of Red River and stream and with parish boundary stone. Probably C18. Granite rubble with granite voussoirs and squared granite parapet copings fastened with iron cramps.

Plan: Two-span bridge of single carriageway width splayed out over the abutments; semi-circular-on-plan refuges at either side and flanking the carriageway are randomly spaced granite fenders built into the parapet. Upstream there is a bank between the streams and downstream there is a triangular-on-plan cutwater where the streams converge. In the south-eastern refuge is a probably early C19 round-headed granite monolithic boundary stone incised with the letter 'M' for Marazion parish. The bridge is humped in the middle and the arches are pointed.

This is a rare unaltered C18 road bridge, saved from being widened by the construction of another bridge nearby in 1837 (Marazion Bridge qv).

The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Ludgvan at List entry 1143629. This entry was removed from the List on 20 October 2017.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
69905
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08471/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. T. Veater. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].