CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159379
Date first listed:
22-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159379.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 19:07:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 55331 18620

Details

ESTON HIGH STREET, NZ 51 NE north side 7/126 (1/1) Christ Church 22.6.67 - II

Church, 1883-84 by W.H. Blessley (Middlesbrough). Brick with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs. South-west tower over porch; clerestoried nave with aisles; chancel with transepts and north-east vestry. Early English style, with plate tracery in west window and chancel. Angle buttresses, continuous chamfered plinth, and sill strings. 4-stage tower has boarded south door, with scrolled iron strap hinges, in chamfered surround with short nook shafts, under continuous hoodmould. Foundation stone, dated 1883 in right buttress. Triple windows under hoodmould in 2nd stage; narrow round-headed windows under relieving arches, in 3rd stage; and 4 grouped bell openings. Half-round stair tower at south-west angle. Shallow pyramidal roof. 5-bay nave and aisles with paired windows under continuous hoodmoulds. Buttresses between aisle bays; pilaster strips in clerestoreys with brick corbelling at eaves. Tripartite west window above grouped lancets; paired lancets in gable. Chamfered doorway in west end of north aisle. South transept has tripartite south window above 5 lancets. Lower chancel, canted at east end, has 5 windows under hoodmoulds; hipped roof. Cross finials on nave and chancel. Lean-to vestry.

INTERIOR: 4-bay chamfered arcades with round shafts, octagonal bases and roughly-hewn square capitals (intended for carving). Continuous hoodmoulds. Similar chancel and trancept arches. Chancel windows have nook shafts. Double-framed coupled-rafter nave roof, with arched braces above and below turned collars with turned kingposts; ceiled above braces. Similar chancel roof with arched braces and 2 levels of through purlins. Patterned encaustic tiled floors. Stained glass: contemporary by E.R. Suffling (London), depicting saints, in aisle windows; c.1905 by Powell and Sons (Whitefriars) in chancel. Memorial altar, retable and chancel panelling c.1911 to John Thompson, with blind traceried panels, foliate bosses and enriched carved vine on mutins, and brattishing. Squared-headed niches, holding figures of St. Cuthbert and St. Hilda, under crocketed canopies with spires, at ends of retable. Panelled and carved choir benches, clergy stalls, pulpit, transept screen, and screen altar and retable in south chapel, 1942-50 by Thompson (Kilburn). Font of Caen stone and marble with octagonal bowl on 5 short columns, common chamfered base and 2 steps. Parish hall adjoining north transept is not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ5533118620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60255
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11888/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].