26 AND 28, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159387
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1954
Statutory Address:
26 AND 28, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159387.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 14:28:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
26 AND 28, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stony Stratford
National Grid Reference:
SP 78810 40414

Details

1. 5315 HIGH STREET (North-East Side) Stony Stratford Nos 26 and 28 SP 7840 1/38A 12.10.54.

II GV

2. Earlier house refronted early C18. 2 storeys. 4 windows spaced 1 + 3. Front plastered. New machine tiles on roof. 2 chimneys. Glazing bar casement windows surrounded by plain wooden fillet, on 1st floor. No 26 is slightly set back, it has one large window with glazing bars. Door has 4 incised panels. No 28: shop window fronted by throughway on left and entrance on right. Fascia with hood in common with entrance which is flanked by pilasters. Small window over throughway. 2 raised and fielded panels on door. Interior: retains good late Cl6 stone fireplace on 1st floor with moulded jambs and 4 centred head. Tudor mouldings on doorway in next room. Nos 26 and 28 were formerly the Rose and Crown, the reputed site of Edward V's arrest in 1483.

The Public Hall and Nos 2 to 24 (even), 24a, 26 and 28 form a group of which Nos 14, 16 and 20 are of local interest.

Listing NGR: SP7881040414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
45505
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12191/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].