NORMANBY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159489
Date first listed:
22-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
NORMANBY HALL, CRICKET LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:33:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORMANBY HALL, CRICKET LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 54236 17775

Details

NORMANBY CRICKET LANE, NZ 51 NW east side (off) 6/22 Normanby Hall 22.6.67 - II

Country house, 1817-26; completed 1858; by Ignatius Bonomi. Margin-tooled dressed sandstone, with plinth; rendered at rear. Welsh slate roofs with stone gable copings and large block kneelers. 2-storey, 5-bay entrance front, the wider centre bay projecting slightly under pediment. Central renewed 3-panel double doors, up 2 steps, in architrave under floating cornice; flanked by narrow 8-pane sash windows below stumps of porch removed c.1970. Sash windows with glazing bars, renewed at right on first floor. Stone sills. Middle window has shouldered architrave. First-floor band; moulded eaves cornice. 2-span roof with 4 corniced transverse stacks. 4-bay right return with garret windows. Left return : 6 bays on ground floor, 5 bays on first floor, with glazed garden door in 4th bay. Both returns have balustraded parapets linking the roof spans; the left has tablet inscribed "W.W.J. 1820" Tablet missing from right return. Short single-storey rear wing. Plain interior with panelled doors, architraves and leafy-pattern ceiling cornices. Rear extension and outbuildings much altered and not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ5423617775

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60271
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16928/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].