PRIOR PURSGLOVE COLLEGE, INCLUDING MASTER'S HOUSE, GYMNASIUM AND ASSEMBLY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159503
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
PRIOR PURSGLOVE COLLEGE, INCLUDING MASTER'S HOUSE, GYMNASIUM AND ASSEMBLY HALL, CHURCH WALK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159503.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 02:20:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRIOR PURSGLOVE COLLEGE, INCLUDING MASTER'S HOUSE, GYMNASIUM AND ASSEMBLY HALL, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Guisborough
National Grid Reference:
NZ 61731 16187

Details

NZ6116 GUISBOROUGH CHURCH WALK

7/74 Prior Pursglove College, including Master's House, gymnasium and assembly hall.

II

Sixth Form College (originally: grammar school and school house). 1887. Alfred Waterhouse. Dressed sandstone ground floor, red brick first floor; yellow terracotta dressings. Westmorland slate roofs in diminishing courses; clay ridge crestings. 2 storeys. Tudor. Plinth. Mullioned and transomed casement windows throughout. Chamfered string band between floors. First floor sills continued as moulded string. Stepped brick corbelled verges. School: rectangular plan; asymmetrical. Off-centre (R.H.S.) gabled dormer over slight projecting bay on corbels with 3-light window over moulded drop-arched entrance passage, with granite spur stones. To L.H.S. of entrance: 4 6-light ground floor windows, 6 single lights to first floor. To R.H.S. : 2 cross- windows to ground floor, 2 2-light windows above. 3 stacks. Timber clock cupola on ridge, to R.H.S., with shallow copper dome. Tablet above entrance arch records: "Founded in the reign of Queen Elizabeth AD 1561 Guisborough Grammar School re-erected in the reign of Queen Victoria AD 1887". Carved stones from original buildings were built into foundations. House: adjoins E. side of school. Balanced asymmetry. 3 bays: L & R being wider than centre and gabled. L.H.S. projects forward. 6-light windows to ground floor, 3-light to first floor, single light to attic. Moulded strings across eaves line of gables. Central doorway with moulded architrave and shouldered fanlight. 2-light window above. Slate-roofed gabled timber porch on turned shafts on stone dwarf-wall to plinth height. Similar treatment to E. elevation. The listing includes the gymnasium and assembly hall adjoining the N.& W. sides of the school. Erected 1898 by Waterhouse in same style and materials. (N. Pevsner, ".... North Riding", 1966, p179; & B.J.D. Harrison & G. Dixon (Eds) "Guisborough Before 1900", 1981, pp. 144-148 & 225-227).

Listing NGR: NZ6168316214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
59942
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, B J D, Dixon, G, Guisborough Before 1900, (1981), 144-8
Harrison, B J D, Dixon, G, Guisborough Before 1900, (1981), 225-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 179

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12460/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].