BOX END HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1159567
Date first listed:
08-Sep-1977
Statutory Address:
BOX END HOUSE, BOX END ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159567.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:54:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOX END HOUSE, BOX END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bedford (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kempston Rural
National Grid Reference:
TL 01066 48556

Details

KEMPSTON RURAL BOX END ROAD TL 04 NW (east side)

11/198 Box End House 8.9.1977 - II*

A late C16 timber-framed house probably of H-plan in origin but with right hand cross wing removed and the gable end built up with stone rubble and the left hand wing extended forward for one bay in the C17 or early C18. In 1847 a new principal range was built parallel with the original, facing south. The original main wing is of two storeys with heavy close studding exposed to front and internally on former rear elevation. Old clay tile roof. 2 storey central gabled porch timber-framed and open on ground floor. Cross-mullionea timber casements with leaded lights. Large stone chimney stack inserted into left end with tall paired-shaft brick chimney stack, probably late C17. The surviving cross wing has 2 bay C17 or early C18 timber-framed addition to left hand with external stone chimney stack. The 1847 range is of 2 storeys coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings, Jacobean detailing. Gabled tile roof with saddlestones and kneelers, crowned by chimneys with octagonal pairs of shafts. 3 bay south garden front with 4-light lozenge-leaded stone mullioned transomed windows to ground floor. 3-light similar windows, with 2- light to centre, on first floor breaking through corbelled eaves, with kneelered and finialed gables. Central shallow porch with moulded lintel and 3-light windows over. A weathered string is carved across the ground floor, stepped up over window and porch. In one of the first floor rooms is an early C17 wall-painting. It represents a bull-baiting scene, with a charging bull in the centre surrounded by dogs, horsemen and hunters. The painting is executed in monochrome distemper with the bull's and dogs' tongues coloured red.

Listing NGR: TL0106648556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
36971
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].