Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159592.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:15:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 58631 41166


SW 54 SE GWINEAR-GWITHIAN GWITHIAN CHURCHTOWN 1534/1/39 Methodist Chapel 14.01.1988


Nonconformist (Wesleyan chapel). Circa 1810. MATERIALS: painted rubble and cob walls, the lifts of the cob clearly visible; wheat-reed thatched hipped roof. PLAN: small rectangular aisle-less plan with gallery at the rear (west) end and doorway to the north wall. EXTERIOR: single-storey elevations. North entrance front has late C19 horned sash with coloured margin panes set high up on the left and doorway with [ate C19 door. Similar windows near centre of opposite wall and to centre of east end. INTERIOR: not inspected but former list description notes: "simple interior with plain plastered walls and canopied ceiling. C19 panelled gallery front with coved cornice rostrum with choir stalls at either side and 2 flights of steps, otherwise much renewed in the C20". FITTINGS: replaced in 1959. Now the only original thatched Methodist chapel left in Cornwall, very much in the mould of nonconformist vernacular buildings of the Old Dissent such as the Quaker Meeting House at Come-to-Good, Kea. In a national context, this survives as a very rare and outstanding example in the vernacular tradition. Bibliography 2826 Gwithian (Charles Thomas), 1964.

Listing NGR: SW5863141166


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Thomas, C, Gwithian, (1964)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05853/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Clegg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].