PARISH CHURCH OF ST JUST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159637
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1950
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JUST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JUST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 16:59:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JUST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Just
National Grid Reference:
SW 37150 31440

Details

1. 1589 CHURCH STREET (North Side) ------------- Parish Church of St Just SW 33 SW 2/1 26.4.50.

B GV

2. Mainly C15 with remains of C14 work. Built of regular granite blocks. Comprising nave, chancel, north and south aisles under one roof, west tower of 3 stages without buttresses, south porch with battlements and pinnacles. Interior with 6 bay north and south arcades, with limestone shafts and carved capitals. Perpendicular aisle windows. 2 remaining much restored C15 wall paintings on north wall of aisle, the others were destroyed during the drastic restoration of 1866 and the interior now has exposed random rubble walls. Stone in north aisle C5 to C16 with inscription SELUS IC IAC IT, found near Oratory of St Helen, Cape Cornwall. Cross shaft in north wall.

Church of St Just, Churchyard wall and No 4 form a group with King's Arms Hotel and No 6 Market Square.



Listing NGR: SW3715031440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
69189
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Dec 2005
Reference: IOE01/15062/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rod Hewson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].