COLUMN,35 METRES EAST OF EDLESTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159714
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
COLUMN,35 METRES EAST OF EDLESTON HOUSE, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLUMN,35 METRES EAST OF EDLESTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159714.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 17:35:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLUMN,35 METRES EAST OF EDLESTON HOUSE, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Gainford
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16900 16673

Details

NZ 1616 - 1716 16891667 GAINFORD SCHOOL LANE (East side, off)

9/125 Column,35 metres 14.9.66 east of Edleston House (previously listed as column in the garden of Edleston Hall, West Edleston)

II

Commemorative column, c.1750. Erected by Sir Hugh Smithson at Stanwick Park, North Yorkshire, to commemorate the Peace of Aachen of 1748 and re-erected by Robert Edleston in 1923 in the grounds of Edleston House, Gainford. Sandstone ashlar. Tall, Roman Doric column on square-plan pedestal with moulded plinth and cornice. Column supports square-plan plinth and-stepped base (which formerly supported a statue, now destroyed).

Listing NGR: NZ1690016673

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111077
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05029/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].