This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1159739



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ickford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 43240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/299 Parish Church of St. Nicholas



Parish church. C12, mostly early C13. Aisles added c1230. Chancel east and north walls rebuilt, upper stage of tower C14. South porch C15, altered C16. Rubblestone with ashlar dressings. Old tile roofs, except over aisles which are leaded. 2 bay chancel, aisled 3 bay nave, south porch and saddle-back roofed west tower. Chancel bays separated by stepped buttresses. East window of 3-lights with reticulated tracery. North side has 2 lancets in deeply splayed reveals. South side has c1360 east window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights under square head, moulded jambs and label. West bay has lancet, then C13 doorway, then single light C15 window with transom and low side window. Sill and lancet arch springing string courses. Coped parapet. North aisle has east window of 2 lancet lights, C16. North wall has at east 3 arched and cusped lights and square head then narrow lancet, C12 round headed window, high up, early C13 door with chamfered jambs and round arch then 2-light window. West wall has 2-light window. South aisle has east lancet with corbel at apex, 4-light south window with hollow chamfer mullions, flat head and jambs, C17. Porch has low pitched C15 gable under C16 steeper gable: 3-light west window with flat head, 3 cusped lights heavily moulded.West wall of south aisle has quatrefoil window above lancet. One 3-light dormer at west end of nave. West Tower of 2 stages. Lower stage has C13 west lancet, upper storey has single light windows. String below bell chamber, saddleback roof. North, south and east windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights. West window C13 of 2 trefoil lights with tympana under pointed lancet heads. Interior. Chancel has sill string to north and south walls, piscina in arched recess of south wall. Chancel arch C13, altered C15. 2 moulded orders. Cut back caps scalloped to north, stiff- leaf foliage to south. Moulded abaci, chamfered jambs. Nave arcades of 3 bays, C13, but different detail. Moulded caps on cylindrical columns, 2 chamfered orders. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. One capital of south arcade foliate. South doorway C13 of 2 orders, inner moulded, outer chamfered. Moulded east cap, west cap foliage. C17 outer door. C13 piscina in south aisle. C14 stoup. Chancel roof C15 with collar trusses, straight braced with ashlar pieces. One tie beam. Nave roof 4 old tie beams. Porch roof C16. Carved and moulded tie beams. Font. C13 plain circular bowl and stem, moulded base, C13. Chancel east window glass 1914. Comper glass in north aisle windows, 1918 and 1933. Monument on north side of chancel to Thomas Tipping, 1595. Corinthian order on Ionic with black marble columns and complete entablature. Between lower columns each with kneelers, Inscription at back in strapwork frame with 'Aztec' figures. Above monument shield with arms. Wall tablets to Thomas Phillips, 1704, architectural, and Elizabeth Phillips; 1735, architectural with 'curtains'. C17 pews and pulpit, the latter with canopy enriched with guilloche-ornament. Most fittings by Canon Vernon Staley, Rector 1911-33, including font cover, tester above altar, altar rails, lectern, benches and the west gallery. RCHM I. 214. MON.1.

Listing NGR: SP6459207371

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 64594 07372


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159739 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 12:54:57.

End of official listing