LUDWORTH TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159823
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
LUDWORTH TOWER

Map

Ordnance survey map of LUDWORTH TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159823 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 14:45:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
LUDWORTH TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shadforth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 35583 41289

Details

SHADFORTH LUDWORTH NZ 34 SE 8/41 Ludworth Tower 28/2/52 (Formerly listed as Ludworth Tower remains at Tower Farm) II

Ruins of tower house. Early C15. (1422 licence to crenellate to Thomas Holden). Thin courses of ochre-coloured limestone, and some magnesian limestone, with sandstone quoins. West elevation: 2 fragments of only surviving wall, to height of 3 storeys with central gap, have 2 roughly- rectangular first-floor window openings, and one on second floor, with dressings removed. East elevation shows rough stone voussoirs over deeply- splayed jambs of these openings; fragments of first-floor fire hood at side of gap, with apparent nook shaft. Fragment of stone spiral stair at north. Remains of barrel-vaulted ground-floor chamber. Fragments formerly identified to south of road now covered over or dispersed. Source W. Hutchinson, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham, 1785, 3 vols; II 586.

Listing NGR: NZ3558341289

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110032
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hutchinson, W, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham, (1785), 586

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12435/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].